A place to share about my love for food, cooking and Brisbane life bits.

365 days

Monday, October 01, 2012

Brunch at Tassels



Corn fritters AUD 6


Thought I would squeeze out a few more reviews on this beautiful Queen's Birthday public holiday. Oh, how I love to just stay home and transform into a couch potato.

We ventured to Tassels in Hamilton for brunch one day. It was a warm day with bright sunshine. I went for my usual, eggs benedict and opted for the smoke salmon version as usual. The presentation was neat and the eggs cooked perfectly with a runny centre. I normally like my eggs well done but with eggs benedict this is one exception where I like my yolk runny and oozing with the hollandaise sauce. 

Eggs benedict with smoked salmon and spinach AUD 18.50
The hollandaise sauce were not too thick, with runny consistency but quite bland in taste, with the yolks it was quite rich. You could have toasted turkish or English muffins; I rather regretted that I didn't choose the English muffins as that is an item I don't eat very often. The turkish bread was crunchy, probably a bit over-toasted for my liking as I like my bread a bit chewy to bite. 

The only thing with eggs benedict is that they just come as it is, eggs, salmon, bread, sauce. Where greedy me always fancy more variety on my plate, some mushrooms, mash cakes, tomatoes etc; so the husband inevitably ended up with the Tassels big breakfast. The interesting thing about the big breakfast is that it contained organic rib fillet! Fancy having steak for breakfast!


Tassels big breakfast AUD 23
The rib fillet was cooked to well-done despite we opted for medium. However, it wasn't hard or dry but edible and bland. I liked the mash cake, which was super crunchy with creamy potato interior. Again, it was light in flavour so I sprinkled salt on it. The scrambled eggs were smooth and nice, and the bacon was just bacon. The chorizo was the most flavoursome item on the plate, with a tint of spiciness. 


I felt something was missing from this big platter, mushrooms! Even though not listed as an item in the big breakfast, I really think it would be nice to have some mushrooms in the big breakfast. Perhaps because sauteed mushroom is a menu item? The meal did not just end here. After having tried the most amazing corn cakes from Cirque about a year ago, I couldn't help but order a side of Tassels' version. 


I really wish I didn't because these were disastrous and made us way too full. They were nothing like Cirque's; these were runny and gooey, not in a good way, and tasted like creamed corn and flour mixed together and burnt on the stove. Don't bother ordering this one, I won't ever again anyway. 

Overall, I thought the meal was average, nothing really amazing.


tassels DINING & DELICATESSEN on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment