A place to share about my love for food, cooking and Brisbane life bits.

365 days

Saturday, October 06, 2012

Friday night at Gino's




Half dozen mornay oysters AUD 15
I have chosen Gino as our Friday night dinner, and have been looking forward to it! After viewing the menu countless times I knew what I wanted to order when we sat down. The husband let me go ahead with the ordering. 


For entree we shared oyster mornay. For half a dozen priced at AUD15 I thought they were quite reasonable compared to other more fancy restaurants. They were small oysters, nevertheless, fresh and sweet. The mornay sauce was too thick and bland for my liking. Parmesan was sprinkled on top, which added a crunch to the texture but I preferred the stringy version provided by more pliable cheese like mozzarella. 



Seafood pizza AUD 16
We shared a pizza and Veal meal for mains. On my previous visits the pizzas had been pretty good. I went for my usual favourite, seafood pizza. The pizza is generous with the amount of seafood: tuna, prawns, squids, anchovies. The seafood were fresh and succulent, however, I thought there were too much anchovies, overpowering everything else making the pizza slightly too salty. 

Maybe ask for less anchovies next time would make the pizza even more enjoyable. The base was soft with a reasonable thickness and crispy at the edges. I enjoy thin crispy bases as well as thick soft bases. A tad longer in the oven to add a bit more crisp would have made this base even better. 


Bella Napoli AUD 22
Tossing up between Veal parmigiana and Bella napoli, the waiter described the former being more cheesy and the later more saucy. The description of Bella napoli captured me, "Large piece of veal filled with ham, mushrooms and cheese", so I went for Bella napoli. The presentation was so simple. A crumbed object on a bed of tomato sauce. This came with a small salad as well. I asked the husband to do a cross-sectional cut to reveal the goodies inside. There were not much inside at all, bits and pieces of mushroom and a little bit of cheese. Maybe I should have gone for the parmi after all. *Sigh*

 
Taste wise it was very bland, with minimum flavouring. When eaten with the tomato sauce, it was tomatoey. I could not detect any ham in there at all. I didn't like how the tomato sauce soaked up the schnitzel, making the crumb wet and soggy. This dish did not do it for me.










Madam recommends Seafood pizza 


Gino's on Urbanspoon








No comments:

Post a Comment