A place to share about my love for food, cooking and Brisbane life bits.

365 days

Monday, October 01, 2012

Siam Samrarn, 92% likes, really?

Mixed Entree for two AUD 16.90



So I visited Siam Samrarn in West end for some long-craved Thai food. We arrived earlier than the reserved time so had to sit outside in the cold, which some people may not mind but I am all indoors when dining out; despite there being a few unreserved indoor tables and the restaurant was not full. 


For starters, we had the mixed entrees. We had the coconut prawns, which was lukewarm to my lips. This is a BIG NO NO for me as I like my coconut prawns freshly fried and burning hot to eat; the exterior crunchy coconut shreds coating the bouncy succulent prawn, cut into bite sizes dipped into beautiful mayo and popped into my mouth. But these coconut prawns were the opposite. Not being freshly cooked meant the exterior coating was hard and dry rather than crunchy. This is a big let-down compared to my favourite Thai Orchid version at Mount Gravatt. 


The fish cake is once again a big let down. Flat and unfluffy and spiciness overpowering anything. Rather like a poor, skinny version compared to the real thing. I did enjoy something out of this mixed entrees though, the samosas. Despite being lukewarm, they were bursting with curried potato filling. I didn't try any of the sauces as nothing seal the deal like the yellow mayo from Thai Orchid on coconut prawns for me.


Green Curry Chicken AUD 16.90
Craving for curry, we went for the green curry with chicken. The sauce was far too runny for my liking, I like my curry sauce thicker and condensed with coconut milk. These were like a dieting light version, with watery consistency. The chicken was dry and pale. The flavour was acceptable but nothing special.


Thai omelet with chicken mince AUD 14.90
Now, what really got me fired up was the last dish, Thai omelet with chicken or pork mince. I was tossing up between the soft shell crab curry or pad thai and decided to go for this stupid omelet! I must admit I was thinking of a special Thai pancake when I was ordering this. 
Having tried and enjoyed Vietnamese, Korean versions of savoury pancakes this one really disappointed me. It was just a piece of oily, cooked in too much oil hence becoming a half deep-fried oil soaked up piece of sad looking burnt flat whisked egg mixture. Now you know how much I detested it. It tasted like reused oil and grotesque. I absolutely hated it and being $14.90 this is an absolute rip-off! There are scarcely if any chicken and the flavour is dull. 



Not wanting to waste our hard-earned cash we polished off everything and felt the craving for Thai food even greater than before we stepped in here. This is my personal opinion and many may love this place. Maybe I just ordered the wrong things, oh well.



Siam Samrarn on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment