A place to share about my love for food, cooking and Brisbane life bits.

365 days

Sunday, October 07, 2012

Something sweet after dinner?





After finishing the dinner at Gino's, we wanted some dessert. The husband wanted some herb grass jelly, so we ended up in Just Soy Cafe. Just Soy has more than only soy-based products, being a taro lover the Super Taro Frappe immediately caught my eye. Priced at AUD 7.50 it is not exactly cheap. The husband was determined to have his herb grass jelly and there is no way I can finish this frappe myself, so I went for the soy custard with sweetened taro instead. 


Soy custard with sweetened taro AUD 4.3
The soy custard came with sweetened taro on top immersed in syrup. The soy custard itself has no sweetness and I thought the syrup went well with it. The texture is that of the conventional soy custard made with gelatin rather than the traditional way, giving it a more firm, jelly like texture as opposed to the soft, silky texture my mum makes. The taro was a disappointment for me. Being a taro lover means I have high expectations and can make good taro desserts myself. This taro is overly sweet, beyond the sweetness there was a funny taste I can't quite describe. The taro was not fresh, the texture was dry and crumbly as opposed to chewy and starchy as it should be from the caramelization of the sweetening cooking process. Apart from the taro, I was happy to slurp down the sweet custard soup. 


Herb grass jelly with mung bean and adzuki bean AUD 4.45
The husband's grass jelly came with sweetened red and green beans.  He thought his was sweeter than mine. The grass jelly was even firmer than my soy custard. Not the biggest herb grass jelly fan, I preferred my soy custard. 

 



Just Soy Cafe on Urbanspoon 




No comments:

Post a Comment